We are a charity which supports the library in Church Stretton, to help keep it open and sustainable.
We were formed after Shropshire Council agreed to continue running the library in its current building. This followed a successful campaign to keep the library open there.
We thank all our supporters who helped make this possible.
What we do
We support the library by
- Encouraging people to make use of library facilities
- Raising funds to support and enhance the work of the library
- Running activities of educational and cultural interest
- Providing volunteers to support but not replace library staff
- Acting as a link between the Church Stretton Library Service and the wider community
- Working with other local groups and organisations to support a coordinated approach
- Encouraging the involvement of the local community in all we do
We are a membership based organisation totally run by volunteers. A committee of trustees manages our affairs. You can read more about the current committee here.
You can read our annual and financial report for 2019/20 here.
Why the library is needed
The library provides vital services to the local community including:
Books: a wide selection of books (including audio) available on loan. This includes a volunteer run housebound service.
Children: books to help children learn to read, and enjoy reading, carry out research for school projects. Regular activities include Rhyme Time for under 5’s,school visits, Summer Reading challenge, holiday events.
Computers: office facilities for people running businesses from home, applying for bus passes, claiming benefits, seeking employment, keeping in touch with family living abroad etc.
Visitor Information Centre: encourages tourism which helps support local businesses and employment.
Exhibitions: Local people and groups exhibit and sell their work here e.g. art, photography, poetry.
Drop In and meetings: provides a warm & friendly place for local people to meet. including reading groups, Creative Writing, knit & natter, training courses